Thursday, April 4, 2013

Git - Move subdirectory to new repo

I had a need to move/detach a subdirectory that was inside a larger Git repository into it's own smaller/standalone repository. After a few Google searches it turns out this is a fairly common and relatively easy thing to do.

Not required but I like to start with a fresh clone of the repo I'm working with into a temp directory.

  mkdir tmp
  cd tmp
  git clone my_original_repo_url

Now clone the repo again (this time it's a local only clone of the repo above):

  git clone --no-hardlinks my_original_repo new_repo_name
  cd new_repo_name

Extract just the subdirectory you want:

  git filter-branch --subdirectory-filter mysubdir

Now lets remove the old remotes, any unneeded history and repack the repo:

  git remote rm origin
  git update-ref -d refs/original/refs/heads/master
  git reflog expire --expire=now --all
  git repack -ad

Now you can add your new remote(s) in and push your changes up to the server:

  git remote add origin my_new_repo_url
  git push origin master

Note: If you are using Gitorious it may at this point complain about a 'invalid ref' when you push it to the server. As far as I can tell this does not cause any problems and only occurs on the first push.

So that covers making your new repo from a subdirectory now lets go remove the now old subdirectory from the original repo so we don't commit to it by accident. I'm using a simplified removal process, you could remove all references and commit info for the subdirectory if you like but for my case that was overkill.

  cd ../my_original_repo
  rm -rf mysubdir
  git rm -r mysubdir
  git commit -m "Removing subdir, it has been moved to its own repo now"
  git push origin master

All done!
Your subdirectory has now been moved from the original repository into a new repository with all your history and commits intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment